Bishop Ian Murray was born on December 15, 1932, and died on January 22, 2016.
He was the ninth Bishop of Argyll & the Isles after the restoration of the hierarchy.
Ian Murray was born in Lennoxtown as the eldest of the four children of John and Margaret Murray.
He was educated at St Machan’s Primary School, Lennoxtown, St Ninian’s High School, Kirkintilloch and the National Junior Seminary at St Mary’s College, Blairs, Aberdeen.
Next, he completed his ministerial studies at the Royal Scots College, Valladolid.
Ian was ordained to the priesthood for the Archdiocese of St Andrews & Edinburgh in the college chapel on March 17, 1956 by Bishop Joseph McGee.
Following his ordination, the priest served at St Mary’s Metropolitan Cathedral, Edinburgh, St Kenneth’s, Lochore and St Columba’s, Edinburgh.
Then, he went back to Valladolid as Vice-Rector until 1970.
Upon returning to Scotland, he was appointed as the Catholic chaplain to the University of Stirling where he remained until 1977.
The bishop then served at Our Lady & St Bride’s, Cowdenbeath and subsequently at St Ninian’s, Restalrig.
Father Murray was appointed Rector of the Royal Scots College in Valladolid, in 1987.
Ian Murray assisted with the transfer of the College to Salamanca in 1988 and remained there until his return to Scotland in 1994.
Upon restaring his work in the Archdiocese, Ian served in Galashiels, Falkirk and was appointed Vicar General of the Archdiocese of St Andrews & Edinburgh.
Ian Murray passed way at 83 yrs old.