Ian Dargie, footballer, Died at 84


Ian Dargie was an English footballer and coach, who played as a centre half.

He is best remembered for his 11-year spell in the Football League with Brentford, for whom he made over 280 appearances.

Ian began his career Southern League side Tonbridge and joined Division Two club Brentford in February 1952.

He made his debut for the club on 19 April 1952 in a 4–1 defeat to Hull City as an inside right.

After moving back into central defence, Ian endured a slow start to his time at Griffin Park, failing to make a breakthrough into the first team until after the Bees were relegation to the Division Three South in 1954, making 22 appearances during the 1954 to 1955 season.

Ian became an integral part of the side was an ever-present during the 1957–58 season, appearing in all 46 league games.

Towards the end of the 1958 to 1959 season, Brentford looked poised to secure promotion back to Division Two and in recognition of his record of 100th consecutive league appearances, Ian was handed the captaincy for a league match versus Southampton on 9 March 1959.

Brentford won 6–0 at The Dell. A cracked shinbone suffered on Easter Saturday 1959 sidelined Dargie for the remainder of the campaign and the team’s defensive record worsened.

Ian was again an ever-present during the 1960 to 1961 season, making a career-high 51 appearances.

Brentford suffered relegation to Division Four in 1962 and Dargie fell behind Peter Gelson and Mel Scott in the pecking order.

Ian departed the club at the end of the 1962 to 1963 Division Four title-winning season, failing to make enough appearances to qualify for a medal.

Ian made 281 appearances and scored two goals during his time with the Bees.

After his retirement, Dargie became physio and youth team coach at Crystal Palace, serving the club until 1982.

Ian was part of the coaching staff at Charlton Athletic between 1985 and 1988, before reverting to an administrative role.

Ian Dargie passed away at age 91 in November 2015.